Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Toward vs. Towards

Aloha, Shipmates!
Today, I wanted to talk about more AP Stylebook issues. How many folks really use their stylebooks when they are writing? I can tell you that I don't write anything without my stylebook with me. It's good practice. But why? In my opinion, the AP Stylebook provides consistency for our readers. AP Style helps readers identify with certain words, titles, etc. How many of you know that the Navy has a style guide? Check it out. Bookmark it. http://www.navy.mil/submit/view_styleguide.asp

Now for the tip of the day:

One of the biggest mistakes I see is the misuse of the word "toward." If you look up the entry in the AP stylebook, you will see that it says: toward Not towards.

So, let's work toward improving our writing today!

Before, I close, I wanted to say thanks to MC2 Morton from the NPASE Hawaii det. for this photo: http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=72751 and the other photos he posted from USS Crommelin's (FFG 37) on Monday, June 16. It just goes to show why we do what we do. My husband deployed aboard Crommelin. As a family member, it helps to see these photos. Thanks again, MC2.

Well, that's it for me today. Keep tellin' the story, Shipmates!

2 comments:

  1. Konichiwa,
    Today is my first time to check your blog, and I think it's awesome.
    On the other note, can any body else inform MC2 Kyle Ghalau to send me an E-mail please?
    MC1(SW) Geronimo Aquino
    aquinog@lsd46.navy.mil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard! Please pass to your fellow MCs out there.

    ReplyDelete