Monday, June 29, 2009

Attention to detail, Shipmates

Aloha! The weekend has passed, yet it passed too quickly. We need to talk shop, however. So, here goes.
Contrary to most folks' thoughts, I do not spend every waking moment thinking about grammar and writing. But, I do love the fact that I am always learning something about grammar and writing. We should all strive to learn something new every day. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
But learning something new isn't why I like to tackle everyday grammar and writing problems. No one is perfect. I don't think anyone would disagree with that either. We all make mistakes. The English language is tough.
Okay, enough beating around the bush. I am here tonight to talk about attention to detail. Sure, we all should learn something every day. And, we recognize that no one is perfect. But, striving for perfection in our writing should be an everyday goal for all MCs.
Today, in a public affairs product, it was discovered that the creator spelled the name of one of our ships incorrectly. Just the other day, I noticed on Navy.mil that photos were submitted with the photographer's ship's name misspelled. The ship this photog serves on EVERY DAY. The worst part of it was no one in the chop chain noticed, not even the folks at Navy Visual News.
Okay, enough preaching. Today I challenge everyone to pay attention to detail in our writing. Always let someone edit your product. Don't be offended by the edits. Recognize we are a team and it our job collectively to tell the Navy story.
With that said, I have to send kudos out to MCSN Adam K. Thomas, whose photo is featured today. Nice shot.
Until next time,
Write on!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to MCC Eric Harrison for pointing out a mistake I made in the blog. See, I told you no one is perfect. And, get this, it was another example of apostrophe abuse. I fixed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just discovered your blog and find it most informative. Keep up the great ideas and let nothing happen to you "on accident". I will also encourage you to stay healthy and eat well. Pay special attention to eating the recommended servings of meat, fruit vegetables and "dairy"... oops, I meant dairy products!

    ReplyDelete