Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our history ... historic or historical

Aloha, Shipmates. Tonight I am chilling out watching the Military Channel -- more specifically, a documentary on the Battle of Gettysburg. I have been to this historic battlefield several times, and I have taken tours from battlefield historians. But, tonight, my focus was directed toward the soldiers and the many civilians who took time to document this battle. I would say, my friends, that as Navy journalists, we have the responsibility of ensuring that today's conflicts and events are documented for future generations. How cool is that?

Today, we also welcome social media, which, if you ask me, is another means by which we can tell our story. Have any of you created a blog to tell about your experiences? Anyone in your respective commands? I think there are ways to take these blogs and publish them. Again, how cool is this?

COMPACFLT public affairs is working on an aggregator for Navy blogs. We not only want to highlight command blogs, but quality blogs from our shipmates, who are are writing about their personal experiences. If you know if any, please pass that on to us. Thanks.
Would love to hear more about how our MCs are using social media to tell the Navy story. Rumor has it, guidance is in the works by our PA/VI leadership; so if some of you are being held back from using social media, your time may come soon. Nonetheless, MCPON is even on Facebook. Check it out.

Before I close, something of the stylebook kind came to my mind -- historic vs. historical. Would you say that the Battle of Gettysburg is historic or historical? Historic, I would say. Why is that? Something historical is anything that happened in history. Events of major significance are historic. The Battle of Gettysburg definitely fits this category. Another example ... a ship's homecoming, I would say, is historical. The commissioning of a ship? Now that's a good question. For an internal publication, this may be an historic event. Your thoughts?

Look forward to hearing from some folks. Please share this blog if you would like.
Thanks,
Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment